Exchange Server Standard Edition (Includes Software Assurance)
Exchange Server is email and personal information management software that runs on Windows Server. It provides a collaboration environment for secure messaging inside and outside an organization. The Standard Edition is designed for small-to-medium-sized organisations and is limited to five mailbox databases.
This donation provides one Standard Edition server license. Larger organisations should consider Exchange Server Enterprise Edition. For additional information about Exchange Server and the server and client licensing requirements, see the Guide to Exchange Server Editions and Licensing.
Benefits for Organisations
If you have network administration experience, you can use Exchange Server to:
- Reduce costs by consolidating communications services
- Spend less time maintaining server settings
This product includes Service Pack 1
- Simplified management: A unified, web-based management console simplifies on-premises, online, and hybrid Exchange deployments.
- Unified messaging: Users can receive email, voicemail, and faxes through a single inbox that can be accessed from anywhere, including on mobile and web clients.
- Inbox protection: Integrated antivirus, anti-spam and anti-phishing technologies stop the latest threats.
- Database recovery: Administrators can configure database availability groups of up to 16 mailbox servers for automatic recovery from database-level failures.
Obtaining This Product
Installing this product requires you to download the software from the Volume Licensing Service Center and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product. After you download the software, learn how to install it or burn it to a disc for later use.
The license key allows you to install the product on as many computers as you have received licenses for. This quantity is specified in the first email you receive from tt-exchange after requesting this product.
Expect three emails:
- When your donation request has been approved, tt-exchange will send a message to your organisation email address confirming the number of licenses you have requested. Make sure the organisation email that is registered with the tt-exchange Programme is up-to-date. Visit My Account and verify the address in your active organisation profile.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organisation to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- tt-exchange will send an email with information about obtaining your license key and managing your donation at the VLSC. If you are new to the VLSC, you should wait for this email before you register there.
Under the Software Assurance programme, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.
Rules, Eligibility & Restrictions
This programme is currently available only to eligible UK Registered Charities
Products will be distributed to eligible organisations only, not to individuals, and within the Microsoft Guidelines.
Organisations which provide the following types of services MAY be eligible to receive Microsoft donations through this programme:
- Relief to the poor
- Advancement of education
- Advancement of social and community welfare
- Advancement of culture
- Advancement of the natural environment
- Other purposes beneficial to the community
Additional types of organisations MAY be eligible to receive Microsoft donations through this programme, including:
- Public libraries for public access purposes
- Public Museums
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief organisations
- Community Health Clinics
- Behavioural healthcare nonprofits that provide mental health, chemical dependency and other psychosocial services to the community
- Women’s health centres
- Blood banks
- Trade associations with registered charity status that have charitable aims and activities
- Organisations that engage in discrimination in hiring, compensation, access to training, promotion, termination, and/or retirement based on race, colour, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, political affiliation, union membership, or veteran status, other than as allowed by law, are not eligible to participate in this programme. Organisations must be willing and able to attest that they do not discriminate on any of these grounds in order to receive donations.
The following types of organisations are NOT eligible to receive Microsoft donations through this programme:
- Governmental organisations or agencies including international governmental organisations and United Nations Entities
- Educational Institutions – organisations eligible through Microsoft academic volume licensing programs are not eligible for software donations, including nonprofit private schools
- Healthcare Organisations and Networks – healthcare organisations and networks including hospitals, specialty networks, ambulatory healthcare services, home healthcare and assisted living healthcare organisations are not eligible .
- Healthcare Research Organisations and Research Laboratories – Includes organisations pursuing systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to general knowledge
- Commerce and Trade Associations without charitable aims or activities
- Sponsorships of events, tables, exhibitions, or performances
- Fundraising events such as luncheons, dinners, walks, runs, or sports tournaments
- Political, Labour and Fraternal organisations
- Refurbishers that will be installing the donated software on refurbished computers to be distributed or donated to nonprofits or schools
- Organisations that advocate, support, or practice discrimination based on age, ethnicity, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic background. Organisations must be willing and able to attest that they do not discriminate on any of these grounds in order to receive donations
Provided an organisation meets the Eligibility Criteria for the Microsoft Software Donations Programme, donation requests can be made in line with the following entitlement guidelines:
- Your organisation's first donation request after 27 July 2011 marks the beginning of its recurring two-year cycles. Within a two-year period, each eligible organisation may request:
- Products from up to 10 of the title groups, with a 50-license maximum for desktop and operating systems or license-only title groups (see below for more details)
- A maximum of five server products, regardless of title group (see below for more details)
- There is no limit to the number of times an organisation can make a Microsoft donation request within the two-year cycle as long as they have not used up their full 10 title Entitlement.
- After two years, a new cycle begins, and the Entitlement is reset.
Please see Microsoft Software Donations Programme FAQs for further information.